A hearty weekend start
We saw this recipe on YouTube one day, and decided to try it. Our modifications were to add the bacon, and dial back the salt in favour of other seasonings to lower the sodium hit. It takes about 30 minutes to prepare, and requires just one skillet. We used our cast-iron skillet.
It’s really very simple to prepare, and is definitely a do-again recipe. If you have a weekend in which you need some energy to carry you through an active morning to lunch, this is a candidate for your breakfast menu.
Our recipe is built for a breakfast for two people. It worked out well. There are no leftovers. To scale it up to serve more people, just add proportionately more of the various ingredients. This is a very adaptable recipe.
- Start about 30 minutes before serving;
- This recipe makes portions for two people.
|Potato||One (for two people)|
|Sweet onion||About half an onion|
|Garlic||One clove, or more to taste|
• Black pepper;
• Paprika (½ tsp);
• Vegeta (½ tsp);
• Thyme (½ tsp);
• Wiri-wiri pepper or Tabasco sauce.
|Diced tomatoes||Half a can (About 400 mL)|
|Eggs||Three (for two people)|
|Bacon (optional)||One strip per person, cut in half|
- Wash and dry the potato. No need to peel it. Quarter the potato, and slice each quarter into about nine medium-size cubes;
- Toss the potato cubes in a container with light olive oil, salt and pepper. Then spread the potato cubes on parchment paper, and bake on high (450°F / 250°C) in the oven or toaster oven for about 25 minutes;
- While the potatoes are baking, heat the onions in olive oil until transparent, and then add the chopped garlic. Be careful not to burn the onions and garlic. Then add paprika and stir quickly. Add the balance of the seasonings;
- Add the diced tomatoes to the onions, garlic and paprika mixture in the skillet. Stir the mixture together;
- Add the roasted potatoes from the oven, and stir. The potatoes will absorb a lot of liquid. You may need to add a bit of water (or wine);
- Crack the eggs over the top of the mixture, cover the skillet and allow to simmer for about five minutes;
- Use a spatula and serve. Garnish the servings with chopped chives, and optionally a strip or two of bacon.
I had to mind the cats and go to the Legislature during that cruise. I am looking forward to enjoying…